Friday, April 23, 2010

Don't Hate the Player, Hate the Game!

The signs of the time have really changed!  I say this, only because it's more....I repeat MORE evident now that the times have changed!  I've heard Tyra complain about having "real " models on the cover of magazines.  I've heard actors complain that musicians are taking all the box office movie roles; and most recently I've heard teachers complaining about alternative certified teachers! 
I'll tell you this:  people need to step up their game!  Sorry, but generally speaking; with a recession, college education expenses, the demands of the workplace and, not to mention those of us that are go-getters, or highly motivated- you shouldn't even be concerning yourself with the path it took someone to get to their success, but their intentions and/or how successful they are now that they have the position. 
Just to break in to my own conversation for a minute- I don't mean if they got to a position illegally or anything.  I just mean; it shouldn't matter if all your life you were an engineer, or a doctor, or a hairstylist, or worked as a customer service rep for Macy's; if and when you decide you want to be on the big-screen, or open your own franchise, or become a teacher...hell, just change career paths altogether...DO IT!
Who cares that I went to college and got a formal education in Communications Radio and Television.  I spent four years learning and studying everything there is to know about broadcasting, communications law and theory, news writing, digital design, principles of public relations, voice and diction, media criticism, and on top of all that and much more; I interned in my field.  Who gives a flying flip if, when I graduated, I decided to teach.  Or who really cares that, now I want to open my own businesses in the two passions I most love in the world; mentoring and dance.
I know someone that spent their life in merchandising and sales, only to one day decide they wanted to pursue real estate.  I know someone else that spent a majority of their life working on docks and loading ships, now they trade by day making lots of money and offering seminars to those that are interested in building wealth.  Another person I know studied law and passed the bar, only to pursue a career in film.  I also know someone that spent all their life in the medical profession and just continually built upon that.
Who cares?!
It's never too late to start over, unless you're dead! 
In fact, when I was in high school and I received this one scholarship through a college that required us to  participate in enrichment seminars; I learned, or better yet was told, "Don't want to become a doctor and only study biology in college.  It's great if you do, but medical schools look highly and choose students that are well-rounded.  Major in something you love.  Or that's a polar opposite.  Like business or theater.  Do well in it and then do even better on the MCAT (medical school test) and you'll be in the top picks!"
It's absolutely true.  Stop allowing people to stifle your endeavors and dreams.  Go after what ever you want.  There's no need not to.  Stop thinking you can only master one thing in life and that's all.  Something that I bring to my district and my kids in particular, is my unique style of teaching!  It engages them.  I project.  I entertain and on top of that I teach.  I motivate.  I inspire.  I change the game of boring classroom styles and bring in something different, and of course it's due to my background in radio and tv!  Everything else; they made sure I was trained for in my alternative course.  Then I still subbed (interned, if you will) for an entire year!  So get over yourself!  I trained and now am highly qualified, per the state of Texas, to teach any subject 4th through 8th grade!
Now, I will admit that there are some of us that can't see the gold at the end of the rainbow, for watching the storm; but BUMP that!  Then there are also some of us that take a quick run to the grocery store and turn it into a trek!  (Meaning that, they act as if they can't plan anything else for their day, due to having to make groceries!)  I absolutely loathe that type of personality.  But you know what?!  Do you!  If that's how you are, do you; but for goodness sake, leave the rest of us alone!!
So I'll leave you with all that to ponder on....and then this...Step Up Your Game! WWDD!! Stop complaining and make it happen!!  Don't hate the player, hate the game!


~Khrystian

No comments: