Monday, January 10, 2011

Age Ain't Nothing But A Number

I hear this more often than I can to share...and it's mostly from insecure, insufficient people (in my opinion)!  The phrase is, "Now that I'm (fill in your age) I'm not doing this anymore." or "People (fill in appropriate age here) don't do this."  "I'm too grown for (fill in whatever activity you would like to do here)." 
I mean, who has read an age dictionary where when you look up the number eight-teen you will find all the activities and thoughts an eight-teen year old should do or think?  And who created this same age dictionary that when you search for the number forty it tells you the particular way of thinking for a forty year old?  Do you see how truly ridiculous this is?!!  I do!

Oh I know!! 

It must be the same people or evil person that tells you what major life change you should have at particular ages.  You know the same one that makes you feel horrible for not having a child at 25 or not being married, or not going to college and living this "so-called life" that "everyone" else is living?!  Yeah them!

Please, if you do this, STOP!  It's annoying...and you shouldn't be placing stipulations on how you live your life.  Or allowing anyone else for that matter!  Don't put fences around or glass ceilings up!  The moment you do that, is the moment you stop living!  I'll give you a good example of what I mean-

I have a friend...they met, fell in love with a much, much older mate, and got married.  By much, much older; I simply mean the mate was older in mind, and age, and experience.  The mate had been there, done that with many things my friend hadn't even begin to experience because let's face it; my friend was straight out of high school from a small town and hadn't seen much or experienced much! (Just keeping it real)

Anyway...the mate would always say, "we don't do that anymore, it's too kiddie." or "nah.  we won;t be doing that because it's wack and kiddie!"  My friend would agree!  I'm not blaming the mate at all for the "losses", I'm simply stating fact!  My friend made their OWN decisions!
Ok, so long story short-they're not married any longer! (big surprise...NOT!) anywho...and now my friend wants to experience the same things the mate always negatively deflected them from doing...NOW!  This is crazy!  You've missed out on life, and doing things that truly your age was doing because you were too "grown" and mature to do those things.  The same thing, coincidentally, you're trying to do now. 

That's just one scenario...

Another friend of mine thinks it's too young refer to woman as girls on invites for "Girl's Night"-which is truly  a play on words.  Hello?!  It doesn't mean someone is excusing the fact that you're an adult.  It's a ding dang on word.  Get over it.  No one says, "Woman's Night"  because frankly...it's boring!  LOL!  Ladies Night-yes...but again, it doesn't make you any less an adult for saying girl!!  Just stupid! 

The point is LIVE your LIFE and LOVE it!  If, at 60, you want to go to disney world...DO IT!  If you have the means and ability LIVE your LIFE!
Why does there have to be an age stipulation on something or someone?! 

When someone opens their mouth and abruptly says to me something I'm too old to be doing, or something a thirty year old shouldn't or wouldn't be doing, I say; "How would you know...I'm the thirty-year old.  So clearly, if I do it...thirty year olds do it.  Get a LIFE!"

And I mean it!
GET A LIFE!

No comments: