Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Honeymoon's Over

A good friend of mine and I were discussing relationships and among the many faucets of the conversation was the topic of the longevity of said relationships. There is a period in any relationship where you get so comfortable with your significant other and so emotionally stable with them that it’s only natural that you have let go of any and all inhibitions.
This is the moment I refer to as “the honeymoon’s over.” This is when things are not quite the way they used to be when you first met. The old folks call it “courting”. Putting your best foot forward all of a sudden is not what that is. Usually, during this period, the couple feels free to release all bodily functions (burps, pass gas, etc.). Where excuse and pardon me were once said, it’s replaced with laughs and giggles. Whispers of sweet nothings in your ear are swapped for loud shucks and jives. Beauty, baby, sugar-pie honey bunch are exchanged for dog, goofy or a simple no tag.
The endearing, romantic intentions you came up with to surprise and sweep your mate off their feet become few and far between. When before, money was no object, you find yourself crying budget. To take the place of spare no expense and order whatever you like, you say we don’t need that or let’s just share. All of a sudden there’s no need to spend every moment together, instead you see each other too much. Someone needs space.
I could go on and on about the infamous honeymoon’s over stage. I could even go so far as to describing my own relationship as in that period, because let’s face it after 11 months with the same person; for a woman (or anyone for that matter) that’s not use to long term relationships; it could get tedious and mundane.
However, I can’t feed into the negative energy of bashing a good thing. As easy as it would be for me to highlight negative aspects of my relationship, let’s face it; you’re lying if you say your relationship is perfect. There are imperfections in every imaginable relationship. They take work. But the work can be and should be worth it.
I have to say that after 11 months: I am STILL in the honeymoon stage! I still get surprises that give me smiles, I don’t tire of our moments together; actually, I have the most fun when he’s around. Romanticism is an everyday occurrence, and pet names are insatiable. My relationship is A-okay and full of adventure!

So, for me, the honeymoon is far from over! Can I promise I’ll be writing this same thing this time next year or whistling a happy tune?? Nope, but a girl sure can live in the moment! :)

No comments: