Monday, October 13, 2014

What's in a Name?

So...my book is titled, Single Girl Gems. I've had tons of people say, "I'm not single any more but I'll read it," or "I'm married but I can buy it for my single girl friends," or even, "I'm not single, but I'll support you and just get the book." I've had a dozen men say, "That's a book just for single girls, that's what the title says," 
I have no real problem with the above mentioned however, when did the title of a book, or film, even a song on the radio, for that matter, dictate what you read, watch or listen to? I'm just asking for clarity!
When the book Color Purple came out; I don't recall people saying, "I've never liked the color purple, so I can't read the book or watch the movie." When the Sex and the City phenom began; I don't recall anyone commenting, "I don't have sex and the city." No one was offended at the mere mention of having sex...and with the entire city. Zane wrote books with titles, Addicted and Nervous, but no one ever says they won't be reading them because they have no addiction or they're not nervous. In fact when the film, Addicted came out, everyone flocked to purchase advance tickets and set up groups to go see the film together and I know they weren't apart of support groups. If you've read, How Stella Got Her Groove Back; I'm quite certain your name isn't Stella! I could count on one hand how many actual Stella's I personally know in the world. Same thing goes for Harry Potter, is your name Harry Potter or did you get any type of stone? Have you been Gone Girl, pretty sure you didn't care Why the Caged Bird Sings, not everyone eats Chicken Soup, most people don't have Stars to find Faults, and if I'm not mistaken; if you're not inhaling but constantly Waiting to Exhale, you'd be dead! I'm positive you're not Sleepless in Seattle, nor Killing Mockinbirds, writing Memoirs because you're a Geisha, or a Girl With a Dragon Tattoo!
We watch housewives of every city and there's no mention of biases against cities you don't live in. Scandal happens to be one of the most watched series on ABC and before that it was Grey's Anatomy. If I came to you and asked you what scandals you've got going on in your life because you enjoy watching the "show" I'm sure you'd be offended. 
So I ask; why is there a discussion or issue concerning why you can't or shouldn't read Single Girl Gems based on your "marital status". It's the same concept and principal as every other book or film or song you've read, watched or listened to. Please explain, por favor.