Thursday, October 30, 2014

One Bad Apple


I happen to catch an interview Countess Vaugh gave pertaining to some of her self esteem issues. It was disturbing to say the least. This woman is uber-talented and has been a celebrity public-figure since she was like eight years old or so. She says that she never felt good enough or beautiful enough growing up in the entertainment business. Granted, I get it. In the entertainment business you are in deed a product. You are no longer an individual that can make decisions about your appearsnce AND you are judged according to your appearance. 
In one breathe she said while working on the set of the popular sitcom 227 Marla Gibbs was great. "She told me I was beautiful everyday." In the same breathe she says, "There was an older lady on set that just didn't like me. She thought I was big, black, and ugly. I heard her. She was just brought up in a time where beauty was defined as something else and I wasn't it. That stuck with me." She said as she began to tear up. 
My thing is: you had someone telling you that you were beautiful everyday, but she allowed one statement an ignorant cast member made, not even in her face or directly to her to scar her esteem and essentially she's held on to that "feeling" those words for over twenty years! Really? How could you allow someone to take your energy, steal your joy in that way, especially when you have someone daily telling you that you're beautiful?

Parents talk to your kids! Build them up before others tear them down! Then listen: if you hadn't heard it today; you are brilliant, beautiful and blessed to be one of God's children! Be successful! Live life and enjoy your successes!


No comments: