Wednesday, June 4, 2014

To Teach Is To Touch A Life FOREVER!

One more half day with these chirren!! Just four and a half more hours and I'm FREE...Hallelujah!! ....Then I receive a graduation invitation from a former student I taught 7 years ago! He actually took the time to deliver an invitation to me! Another student came up to visit because he's graduating this year and got to leave school early as a senior! 

I'm overwhelmed with gratitude that my former students, these scholars thought enough of me after all this time to include me on such a memorable accomplishment! I'm proud and I'm grateful for the career that, literally, CHOSE me! 

No matter how much disdain, or how much discomfort, or the extreme amounts of frustration I may endure with the public education school system, the administration, the community, the parents, my colleagues, the students themselves; in those moments...and each year I receive them: from the first day of school when my budding, nervous fifth-graders enter, to teacher appreciation week,  all the way to new classes of bright-eyed, bushy-tailed, full of dreams and hope graduates enter the world; do I realize the Calling that not everyone is Called to do. 


I was chosen. To teach is to touch a life forever! Not everyone understands, but it's true! Great and bad experiences shape us. I've never had any ill-will or intentions for any of my students! 

I've only always wanted to foster productive citizens. Respectful and well-prepared learners. I'm from "old school" I suppose. A time where it took a Villiage to raise a child. A time where parents and educators attempted to work together to help build society. A time where parents were children's advocates, not enablers. A time where spelling mattered and so did proper English...but I'll get off that soap box for now and continue to be GRATEFUL for those students that continue to excel and do great things! Those students that I've inspired and in turn they inspire me to keep reaching! 

Congrats class of 2014!! Shoot for the moon...that way, even if you miss, you'll still land amongst the STARS and SHINE! 

No comments: