Saturday, June 8, 2013

Flashdance 2013


I must say, on record, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my job at TUTS (or Theatre Under the Stars, for those that don't know) 
I get to perform, sing,  dance, direct, choreograph, you name it; I do it! 
I may not be the best singer in the world, but I'm around those that are and not only do I receive training but I help them to train the voice! What could be better than that. I get to travel, see broadway shows, meet interesting and entertaining artists! It's the best! 
One of my favorite perks, is not only being able to sit in on rehearsals for shows, but being privileged to sit in the audience at shows! Any show that comes to Houston, I might add! Work hard (and it can be hard, no sugar coating), play harder! My motto and I love it! 
The latest broadway show I saw was Flashdance, the eighties cult-classic film about a young girl with no formal training and her BIG dreams of being taken seriously as a professional dancer! I love, love, loved it! 
The story was great, the music good (paying special homage to eighties classics like, hit song, I Love Rock & Roll, hit fashions, like, Tina Turner), what was most entertaining for me...being a choreographer...was the dancing (or choreography) it was outstanding, intriguing, and entertaining! I loved it! I also loved the quirky details the show was sure to include such as the infamous "bra" bit where Alex takes off her bra through her shirt sleeves, without removing the shirt. The triumphant "dance on the judges table" bit. The outstanding movie/box office cover art, where she's in her black dance leotard, fishnet pantyhose, big curly hair, arched back in a chair with water splashing down onto her body! It's those details that make us eighties baby know, that we know, we know the movie Flashdance! 
"What a Feeling" it truly was to experience the actors bring the story to life! I highly recommend you snagging some tickets and checking this broadway show out! Even if you weren't born when the original film was out or don't remember it at all, you're sure to enjoy it. It's not recommended for children under eighteen, in my opinion,because of the strong subject matters, but it's definitely worth seeing LIVE and in living color! 
Enjoy, 
xoxo

No comments: