Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Please Don't Stop the Music!

What caused the downfall of great movie soundtracks?! Contrary to popular belief it doesn't have to be a musical to include GREAT music! I'm saying back in the day a soundtrack trumped or at least riveled most solo artist albums. They were the backdrop to films and carried the flow of the film. Mostly, the songs emotionally charged or led you from scene to scene and often times spoke subliminally to us in a way the actors couldn't always master no matter how great the facial expressions, blocking or camera angel!
Movies like:
Boomerang
Waiting to Exhale
Poetic Justice
New Jack City
Above the Rim
Pretty in Pink
Back to School

I could go on and on but I won't! I'm sure you could add some of your favorites to my list as well! I'm just wondering where are they?! The soundtracks you couldn't wait to release so you could go and buy! The soundtracks that saw you to the End of the Road. The soundtracks that placed you in that moment on the big screen with your leading man or ensemble cast. The soundtracks that document your life to the letter because you often times don't have the guts to speak your own truth for yourself without a little assistance. The soundtrack you could play from track one through the last track with skipping through because every song was THE song (well...and two, because many of these soundtracks were on cassette tape and it was just TOO much trouble to rewind and fast-forward! Y'all remember that?! You'd always pass the mark for the start of the next song so you may as well just play the entire thing or at least the end of the last song and just go to the other room or something until the song you don't really want to hear fades out and your song came on...OH! ...or is that just me? Don't act brand new! It was YOU too!)
A couple of nights ago my mom and I were in the car together and on the radio came one of the those great songs from a soundtrack I remember! The song took us back, granted my mom is...well, my mom...so basically I have NO business talking about, "This my song!" right along with my mom! That just means my little behind was grown and fass! Lol! Here I am listening to and loving these songs I had NO idea what they were about then at eight or eleven years old...but guess what?! They are STILL and will always be my jams...too! Right along with my mama! Lol! Don't blame me I had a young, hip mother!

Here's to memories!
Here's a link to the song we were jamming!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXSVxeU2c98&feature=youtube_gdata_player

No comments: