Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Pleasantly Surprised!

About a week ago a dear friend and former co-worker of mine told me she had always considered me the glass-is-half-full type of optomistic person! She went on to say, I'm always really bubbly and cheerful, always with a smile on my face.
!!!HOLD IT...STOP THE PRESSES!!!
This was a thrilling peice of information for me, considering those quite intimate with me; although they don't say I'm negative, they always say I'm mean and or rude! I'll mos def blog on why they would say those things later...
Anywho, I simply told her thank you and that I do try my best to be optomistic, even when adversity is staring me in the eye forcing me to shift. A lady nearby commented, stating that her husband thinks she's the total opposite and she then asked me to give her some advice on how I stay positive. My advice is probably the same advice she's heard, you've heard...heck, we've all heard. But you know; sometimes coming from a person that doesn't know you makes it all the more applicable.
I will give this disclaimer and then I'm done-It looks easier than it actually is!

First thing, I'm the girl that likes to think to myself. Meaning, in times of distress, I go to a quiet corner and gather composure. No matter how difficult or challenging or uncomfortable or even how much advice I may need; I always go and compose myself. If nothing else; it's for clarity!

Second, I'm the "lets make it happen" girl! Tell me the definitive goal and I'm on it. Small details and worrying about what you have to do to get it done can be time-consuming and useless. I'll phrase that last sentence loosely; because I'm not here say smalll details are pointless. They aren't. There are some of us that thrive on details and need a year to complete something that takes less than a month to get done. They're not stupid or anything. Procrastinators maybe, but definitely way too cautious. Get'er done! That's all you have to do! The details will come. They have to obviously, but if you waste time being consumed with them...you'll run yourself ragged and this time next year you'll still have this beautiful vision or master plan and nothing to show for.

Next; I don't complain out in the open. Sure some people I work with are trifling. Some are shiftless. More than that, some are down right rude. But if you're going to handle it, handle it! And if you're not, shut up about it! Handling it means to address the problem head on, solve it and move on. If someone always rubs you the wrong way, pull them to the side and tell them. If someone addresses you openly in an offensive manner; stop and correct them right away. But please keep negative and offensive remarks to yourself. It only makes you look like a jack rabbit later. It goes back to thinking to yourself.

Be gracious! There'll be times when you absolutely give the best answers and ideas. Then...there's those times when you will absolutely give the wrong answers! Either way take it and leave it. No one likes the BIG HEAD...and if you are that way...er, just always make a joke of it. Sure, you know you're ideas are the best; but let someone else tell you. Trust me they will tell you especially if you're gracious.

Be pleasant. Pleasant means being an ear to that pessimist. Be shoulder to that detail-oriented person. Be optomistic. Even if you know you're homegirl looks ridiculous in that plaid gold and green dress. Give her a compliment about trying to make a statement and then tell her to take it the heck off! Give sound advice. People that usually vent to you, would like some type of guidance, whether they use it or not is up to them; but give them something to chew on. You defintely won't have all the answers but you can be a helper instead of...well, the opposite! And even if you know you're not going to do something atleast pretend to want to get it done. Geez Louise.

Lastly, be a team player! Enough said!

No comments: