Friday, August 15, 2008

Lesson Learned

...so i went to karaoke wednesday night. it was unexpected, but mos def one of the many forms of entertaining myself i partake in.
the day began quite normally; i was watching duplex, ben stiller and drew barrymore, when a friend of mine asked if i'd meet up with her at the kona grill for happy hour. i was hungry so i went; not to mention i love a good margarita. in the midst of reminiscing on our recent trip to vegas we simultanously said karaoke would be fun to do next.
because we were there so early it was only about 5 people in the building. lucky for us, becasue that means we get to sing more songs. i sang; girls just wanna have fun, weak, cater to you, and redneck woman, the night was going well.
a little later in the night this girl got up and began singing a song with the most buttery smooth voice i had heard in awhile. her sound was so amazing it made me stop looking through the book of songs and i began singing along with her. after she got off stage i immediately complimented her and asked her who's song it was. i knew i knew the song, had heard it before, but didn't remember by whom. she said alicia keys' a lesson learned!
that song hit the spot for me:

"I was burned but I call it a lesson learned Mistake overturned but i call it lesson learned. My soul has returned so I call it a lesson learned. Another lesson learned.... Life perfect, aint perfect if you don't know what the struggles for Falling down, aint falling down if you don't cry when you hit the floor It's called the past, 'cause im getting past and I ain't nothing like I was before. You ought to see me now."

i came home and put that song on all the playlists i have-iphone, ipod, project playlist, myspace lol. life is all about lessons learned. i went through, as i'm sure we all do, alittle something last year. the funniest part about my ordeal was that i used to be so judgemental of others. so quick to disregard how others felt and unwilling to place my self in their shoes. i was the friend, and i still am; that everyone comes to for the absolute truth, no holds bar! straight-forward spare no punches. but this time last year i was so down about what i was going through that at some points i could barely recognize who i was. this time last year i wouldn't have uttered a word about it, i wouldn't have been honest with myself and say i was hurt or in excruciating pain; i wouldn't have had so much passion behind recognizing how others feel when they go through any type of pain. and i mos def wouldn't be writing a blog about it for everyone to read. for me life was simple. it still is. your past is just that... your past and the right now is a gift that's why its called the present, and i'm thankful that i recognize that. i'm in such a great place. i love what i do, my family, my friends, where i am in life, my belief in God; and not many people can say that. I am glad God has a way of putting us through things and placing certain people in our lives to teach us valuable life lessons. lessons that you can't be prepped for; you actually have to go through them yourself, live through them and triump over them.
lessons learned makes you stronger and builds your character. last year i asked why?, now i just smile and thank God because He brought me out of the situation. God could have taken me out of here when i was in my misery. But He saw to it that i had yet another lesson learned. God is Awesome!

Here is the site to here the full sing if your interested
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24gjW4Oqj2k

No comments: