Wednesday, July 13, 2011

What's your highest bid?

4 hours and 63 chapters later I completed Victoria Christopher Murray's novel, The Deal, The Dance and The Devil.  A modern day Indecent Proposal.  It begs the question, "How far would you go for your mate with 5 million dollars at stake?"  Could you actually see yourself saying adios to your mate for a weekend to receive 5 million dollars at the end of that time?  When the book was first proposed to our book club, one of the ladies (the one that's married) said, "Hell yeah."  Many others confessed, "if just for a weekend, I think I could do it." others said, "take your ass on! 5 million dollars?  Yep."  Me?  I know I couldn't.  Now I am prepared to say one of my favorite sayings; "desperate times call for desperate measures"  however, I know myself!  I couldn't, wouldn't and.... it just ain't going down! 
Also, my husband (cuz let's assume in a perfect world that's the only other person it would be) I would hope (fingers crossed) wouldn't want or even consider it either.  But hey, again; you NEVER can say NEVER and that's exactly what was apart of the story as the plot thickened.  I won't give away too much more.  I'll stick to my opinions because some of the members of the book club have not finished reading and I don't want to be a spoiler for them...next month we'll discuss the actual book.
For now, I want to touch on a few common themes about life:
1. Men always think they can handle the devious schemes of a woman scorned on their own.
-I'm here to tell you boo-boo; you can NOT!  Point blank period.  Women are something else, take it from me...I'm a woman.  Ask any woman and she'll tell you; a woman scorned is desperate, miserable and will do anything she can to make you and your life as miserable as hers.  Most men try and "handle" the situation on their own.  Thinking, it'll go away or that the chick will "get over it".  Well...it won't and SHE won't!  It's almost laughable, but then again it's not. Many men also think, "hey I have sisters", or "I have a lot of female friends", or they're even naive enough to say, "I been around long enough to know these women"  POOR THINGS!  You really DON'T get it!!
So; place that big ol' ego to the side...in fact...CHECK it and be open and HONEST about whatever it is you and the said woman have going on, did have going on, will have going on and in front of witnesses (particularly the person you have something to prove a point to) because I'm telling you if you don't....an entire different story than what is actually going on will conceive in her "mind" and give birth to disaster to follow!
2. Once temptation, suspicion or distrust are introduced into your "loving" relationship...anything goes. 
-I must break these three down...not for you, for me!
Temptation- If you need to cheat, please retreat (inspired from the rhyming style of the late-Johnny Cochran)  Being tempted is one thing, but acting on that temptation is the devil's playground, because you don't ever "get away" with it.  Someone knows, someone will get mad, and the "love of your life" will find out....then comes...
Suspicion- Now no matter how many I'm sorry's you've said it doesn't mean a thing.  Apologizes are like using whiteout, it covers up the mistake but it's never totally away. Now, when you, "have to make a run" (according to the book) it's like to where? what the hell is a run?  When you don't answer your cell phone...it's like; "what the hell are you doing?"  "why couldn't you answer?"  You start hearing things like, "You never did this or that before" "Where did you get this or that?"  It brings about unnecessary insecurities that no one should have to endure because of your stupidity.  Giving up something special for a second!
Distrust- My mom always says, "Your word is your bond."  So no matter what happens, from the moment trust is gone...it's almost like trying to pick up the pieces to a broken mirror and put them back  together...you're bound to get cut.
3. The devil's job is to kill, steal and destroy
- Not necessarily your physical life, which I learned a long time ago thanks to Ambassadors for Christ Ministries, but the life you know of here on earth.  Kill your dreams, steal your joy, and destroy your destiny or goals or faith.  It's rough out here.  Life, I mean.  You have to be ready.  The lion crouches at your door, and the devil works through any and everybody.  Stay prayed up and in good courage with the Lord.  That's all I can say about that.
4. Stick to your moral values
-There's plenty in this world to get you off track.  But stick to what you know.  What you believe.  What you honor.  Don't stray.  In some instances it's easier said than done...but work at fighting the flesh...and you nor I are alone.  We just have to get'er done :-)
Good luck and God Bless in knowing your worth and understanding that some things just aren't worth piece of mind!
XOXO, Khrystian Nichole
P.S Read the book and let me know your thoughts...let's discuss next month!

No comments: