Friday, May 20, 2016

Year of Yes~Review

Reading Shonda Rhimes self revealing book for my book club the month of May. I wouldn't call myself quite a fan of her work, and that's just because I'm not too familiar with everything Shondaland, but I do love How To Get Away With Murder and I watch Scandal. I'm definitely and without a doubt an advocate of movers and shakers, smart and savvy women, as well as, girl bosses though and she fits the mold...completely! 
Just a little something in my office in case you didn't know. 
Anywho; as usual I've pulled tid-bits that stuck with me from the book. My usual disclaimer *this is in no way a substitution for reading the book.*
Shonda Rhimes, in my opinion, is quite magnificent and most people that work for her and with her agree. I believe it was   a talk show host that coined the term Shondalabra in regards to her. Her book was totally about removing yourself from your comfort zone and owning ALL of yourself, flaws and all. To be great, most times you have to do unusual things; especially things you're not familiar or comfortable with. In all her fabulousness she says, "Standing around like Wonder Woman in the morning can make people think you are more amazing at lunch time." Silly? Maybe! I took it to mean that being awesome is a mind state and once YOU believe in yourself others will too! Not only that; holding yourself in high regard forces others to do the same. As I've blogged before, if a person doesn't know, they don't know (Khrystianism) you have to TEACH people the way to treat and respect you. 

Lesson 1: Ditch the dream! Be a doer, not a dreamer.
I instantly thought of Dory and heard her voice sing, "Just keep swimming." Nothing comes easy! It's hard work to be successful. If you want to be or do something, get it done. Don't waste precious time that you can't get back dreaming and imagining. Like I've said before: Don't think outside the box, kick the box...move that thang out the way!

Lesson 2: Tomorrow is going to be the worst day ever for you. But don't be an asshole. 
One thing she mentioned during that time of dreaming was to keep going. The saying is if you can't fly, walk, if you can't walk, crawl, (I'm adding) if you can't crawl, scoot, but keep moving! "Do until you can do something else," she writes. I take it to mean; if you want to own the company; don't keep repeating yourself and not working moving towards the goal...go work for the company and learn all about it. Master it.

Lesson 3: There's a trade-off. You can't do it all. If you're succeeding at one, you're inevitably failing at the other and anyone who tells you they are doing it all, perfectly, is a liar.
This portion was a system of pleasantries meant to allow yourself time to grow in my opinion. Keep the blood pressure down, sip a glass of wine, and enjoy growth! Coming from someone that's reached her level of success that tid-bit is beneficial and noteworthy!

The last tid-bit was one of my favorites. This one goes out to all mothers everywhere and ALL people that count motherhood as a "job". I've had these exact same feelings for awhile now so to see her place it in print truly resonated with me. I won't write a blurb on it; I've taken the liberty of photographing the section I believe tells it all: 

xoxo!


#IAintSorry




No comments: