Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Straight Outta Compton

Great movie! Nice story. It was about N.W.A. The rise, the fall, the ups and downs. It was not about the independent artist DJ Yella, MC Ren, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, or Eazy E. It was not about Ruthless Records. The story of N.W.A made a path for the artists' successes and sometimes detriments, but it was not a story of their independent legal matters, outside relationships, film careers, record labels, or anything else attributed to their individual names or fame. If it was...it would have been some type of elongated mini-series and not the two-hour theater movie those of us whom have seen it, thoroughly enjoyed. The movie that gave us a nostalgic remembrance of an era that revolutionized hard-core, gangsta, misogynistic, realistic rap that was played, banned, talked about, played again, and opened up numerous doors for so many other producers, artists, labels, free thinkers, activists, and executives!
Everyone is coming up and out of the wood works as contributors to the story of N.W.A. I'll say- you may have been around at the time, an artist in the studio, a label mate, riding in the car, on the tour bus, at Eazy E's Wet and Wild party, you may have even been the specific Felecia at the hotel during one of their numerous wild nights, but you are not; I repeat NOT one of the contributing members of N.W.A which the movie was based upon. Knock it off...enjoy the film...let your memory take you back...then, get over yourself. 
If you hadn't seen the movie; I highly suggest you do. I couldn't actually "relate" since I was seven and eight years old at the height of the groups commercial success, plus the fact my mom wouldn't allow me to listen to or watch rated "R" things...let's face it- I was sheltered- but I sure did enjoy the film! 

Cruising down the block in my six fo' 
xoxo








No comments: