Saturday, May 23, 2015

My Educational (Career) Journey

At no-years in, a mere 11 years ago, I began substitute teaching as a means to an end when I thought I wanted to pursue a higher degree in corporate law. Racked with an exuberant amount of passions and an even greater abundance of decisions; I chose the path of least resistance (to say the least) and chose to get a certification in grades 4-8 since that was the grade-level I had been subbing and was most comfortable. 
I started the career as a NEW teacher leading a cross-curricular team of veteran teachers and boy did I get a crash-course in teacher-parent-student connections professional development! The hiring principal at the time stated, "Oh, being a team leader won't be so bad. You'll just have to spend an extra hour of your Mondays with me after school." Ok! She lied! BUT...she did take it easy on me. All I truly did was relay messages from this Type-A personality principal to the other members on my team and Wha La! What do you know? I'm a first-year teacher with a distinguished title among educators around the nation. I gain a close relationship with the principal, remaining administration, leaders on the campus, and my peers which would follow me for ten full years until I receive my second Service Award. (You get a Service Award every five years.)
Fast forward today, I'm offered, applied, interviewed, and accepted a position as Science Academic Coach. Who knew that my time in the classroom as a science teacher and team leader all these years, additional certifications later, two campuses, four principals, an internship, professional and personal victories and defeats all would be preparing me for this transfer...this moment. Who knew that I would be a valuable asset to a campus all because of my leadership skills, integrity, work ethic, qualifications, experience, relationships, effectiveness, positivity, and professional standing? I'm excited for the change, and open to all it will bring. Boots on and strapped tight as I embark on this next chapter that I've been told, "is seeing education in an entire different light!"
I'm all set with my idealistic views of what instructional/academic coaching looks like and feels like. 
Bring it on!








No comments: