Monday, September 22, 2014

Broken Down to be Lifted Up!

Yesterday, before the launch party of my debut book, one of my Ganny's close friends called me to get the directions to the location. I was literally on my way, riding in the car, explaining how to get there to her and she says, "I'll see you soon. I wouldn't miss it for the world. Your grandmother would've been so proud." 
In that moment, like no other, it hit me that she was gone! I was overwhelmed with grief and sad! I couldn't stop the tears from forming in my eyes. I attempted to stop them from flowing down my freshly made-up face but all I could do was shut my eyes. My Ganny would've been either riding with me or my parents to the event to help me in any way she could have! She would've been dressed to the Nine's, prancing around like only she could, beaming with joy as she made her rounds of being, "the Grandmother of a published author." 
Within, almost, an instant though; I was comforted. It was nothing but God that got me through the remainder of the car ride. I dabbed at my eyes, so I wouldn't have to explain to my brother or boyfriend why I was crying before we arrived. That would have only made me cry more as my boyfriend is just like my mama...wants to know what's wrong to fix it. I remembered that my Ganny was and still is a Lion! She was eloquent and she didn't step out looking any way but magnificent so I couldn't arrive puffy-eyed, stuffy, and (for a lack of better words) ugly! I got it together and the launch was, in my opinion, a success! Her friend was right! She would have been proud and I'll always remember to honor her legacy as I continue on this journey....chin up, shoulders back, walking upright, perfect posture, UPLIFTED, well-spoken, eye contact, polite and kind, with a smile! 

xoxo, 

Here's the photo I took right after to deter my own thoughts and any questions about my excessive eye dabbing:


1 comment:

Kathryn Cunningham said...

*tears You are do correct about your Ganny there is no way we could have stopped my mommy from beaming with pride. She loved her all children and most definitely Khrystian Nichole.